Studying a VET degree or higher degree in the field of cookery and hospitality can make you a commercial cook or chef. Australia demands a huge amount of chefs and cooks and its’ demand in market has not been fully entertained. These occupation of cooks and chefs are listed in Medium and Long Term Strategic Skilled List which could lead the skilled workers to continue on a pathway of permanent residency in Australia.
To a new international student in Australia, if they do not have previous experience or qualification in this field, it is best recommended to consult an agent for fruitful pathway. It would be best recommended to continue with Certificate III in Commercial Cookery and follow with Certificate IV and Diploma of Hospitality.
These occupations can be assessed as:
- Chef – ANZSCO 351311
- Chef de Partie
- Commis Chef
- Demi Chef
- Second Chef
- Sous Chef
- Skill Required:
– Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience of AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
– At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. It depends on the amount of experience and level of qualification.
Students can either choose to navigate themselves in an area of their interest. Some options would be to join a Bakery or Patisserie, Commercial Cookery, Marine Cookery and many more. These areas could be joined as student approaches the field of hospitality.
Australia provides various visa subclasses to its’ international residents. One of the best Visa to learn and study the course of commercial cookery is considered as Visa Subclass 500 which is named as Student Visa. The length of this visa depends on the length of study and it is best recommended to consult with your visa or education counsellor before you decide to apply on this visa. However, these tasks can be carried out by oneselves if they are well aware of meeting all the requirement and conditions.
Every year, Austrlia bring changes to the list of skilled occupation. Cook or Chef is one of those occupation that have not been changed in quiet a long time. These occupations are highly necessary for an Australian hospitality market.
To know more in detail, please speak with one of our education counsellors who could provide a free guide on how to step in this or other industry that will have a fruitful outcome in the future in terms of career and migration perspective.
Other useful links:
- Medium & Long-Term Occupation List (TSS)
- Migration Planning (Current Fiscal Year)
- Assessing Authorities in Australia